Sunday, December 23, 2012

New Beginnings


It has been many years since I ventured out into the 25/28mm figures, up until 2 years ago I had a quite extensive Napoleonic 25mm Army, as I lived out of town I stored my army at a friends place however the earthquakes put paid to that when the entire army was crushed by a wall collapsing in my friends home during the Second big earthquake that hit Christchurch two years ago.

We were not even allowed to go back into the house to try and reclaim clothes or belongings including any figures left intact.
Not long after I went through a period of bad health brought on by cancer and being diagnosed with early parkinson's disease, that  meant any painting of a new army was out of the question; mainly due to extensive low morale (read depression) and shaking hands.
I was fortunate to have a small 15mm Napoleonic Army which was not in the house at the time of the earthquakes so it survived and with the help of a few very good friends I accumulated a few more 15mm units, but my painting standards due to shaking  hands when I concentrate is abysmal  so once again I gave up on painting in disgust.

Fortunately I have been blessed with good friends, and through them they have once more enthused me to go back into the 25mm armies, painting will still be a challenge but it is one I hope to master again, but the building of my armies will be painfully slow, due to the painting skills and costs of importing figures into New Zealand.

I have my first Horse and Musket figures on order (wargame factory) and are hopefully are on their way once Santa clears the backlog of parcels to go. They are to be used in my "The Vales of Lyndhurst" Blog, which is the story of the Anders family in a turbulent Mid 18th century England. The Blog is intended as a "small action/story" set in the "County of Lyndurst" unlike my other "mega' Blog http://rechburg.blogspot.co.nz/ which is a continental size wargame Blog.
The Armies in the Vales of Lyndhust will generally be very small, I am thinking at the most up to a dozen units a side at the most with the average around 6 units a piece.
The story of the blog is the discovery in the County of Lyndhurst the last remaining royal descendent, an 11 year old boy called James, the power struggles that follow as the Anders and fellow royalists struggle to protect the boy from harm and hope to get him placed back on the throne of England.

At the moment the blog is very light in substance, that is simply because I am still researching and building up a character list, so more will be added over the next week or so.

So I am sitting here scheming and dreaming about the Vales of Lyndhurst and wondering just how far around the poles has Santa gone by now, I know he wont be here by xmas and its most likely he will have to go back to get my wee men, but he better hurry.

Now by the way all I want to wish all you guys the very best Xmas and a really good and happy New Year, and keep the blogs coming, I do love them all.

6 comments:

  1. It'll be interesting to see how you make this work.

    BTW I am just wondering, but as an American, I was wondering what the Colonies of Georgia, North Carolina & South Carolina (all named for Monarchs who never sat on the throne in your world) would be named. Also, Maryland was named for Charles I queen, so it might have undergone a name change as well.

    Good Luck with the scheming.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi and thanks for leaving a comment, yes you are right if my Imagi world were the real one there would have to be a host of name changes right around the world, but in the worse case scenario I guess the current names could be named after the wives and consorts of the English Nobles who Governed at the time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Barry, this sounds like a very interesting and intriguing concept. I'll tell you what: it would make a fine novel whether written for adults or for a younger readership. Possibly a 'children's' or 'young adult' story would centre upon the 11 year old James, either as the (main) protagonist, or the heir apparent whom a young central character benefits greatly. An adult novel might deal with the intriguers orbiting James as the focus of their machinations.

    As a wargames campaign/political game, the 'Vales of Lyndhurst' has I think the potential to be a little more personally engaging than the usual 'character generation' type project. I'd almost suggest that for a few of your main central characters, you decide pretty much how you want them to be, rather than generate them randomly. If you do, it were best also to know as much about the character to begin with as you can think of - everything, for a given value of 'everything'.

    If you were playing this pretty much solo, you might find it thus easier to figure out what a given character might decide to do given a situation in which a selection has to be made from a number of possible courses of action. Knowing that Sir Broderic Brock is a rather deliberate and cautious character, known for great courage, and a preference for action rather than inaction, then he is most likely to think very carefully before choosing. That choice is likely to be a fairly bold course, over a rash one, nor is he likely simply to await events. At least not for long. That sort of thing.

    At any rate, I'm looking forward to seeing how this develops.

    It is a pity about your difficulties with painting. I'd offer my help, but I'm not sure I'm in much better case, with cataracts in one eye playing merry hell with my binocular vision (I tell you what, threading needles these days is a real challenge). One possibility you might try is an all-white spray undercoat, block colours (not worrying overmuch about accuracy), and paint on shading (such as the Citadel 'Shade'). A trick I used to steady my hands was to rest the figure-holding hand against the edge of the table, or even against a raised knee, and in the other had the back end of the paint brush resting against my cheek. At that you might want to have as well some kind of block to rest the heel of that hand against to minimise trembling there. Whether this will work for you I don't know. How good is your near vision?

    Cheers,
    Ion

    ReplyDelete
  4. A very original setting, rich of potential: I'm excited to follow the development of your 'alternate' world.

    'England divided' examples can be found in "For the Crown and the Dragon" 'introducing a young officer, Taliesin, fighting for the Queen of England in a Napoleonic-period alternative reality, where the wars of Europe were being fought with sorcery and steampunk weapons (airships, clockwork machine guns, and steam-driven trucks called kettle-blacks). The book reviewer Andrew Darlington used Hunt's novel to coin the phrase "Flintlock Fantasy" to describe the sub-genre of fantasy set in a Regency or Napoleonic-era period.' (disappointing, imho) and "Pavane" but I guess your departure from 'our' History / time line is far less drastic.

    Far more modestly than your endeavor in my days (was it more than 35 years ago, already?) I 'mastered' a RPG campaign set in a mid-18th C. France were the Fronde des Princes had triumphed -just to be able to play 3 Musketeer-type swashbuckling adventures by the time of the WAS, given that I prefer tricornes over slouched hats and justaucorps over pourpoints!

    I was a rather abysmal painter, but I found that 'dipping' enhanced the result and made it tolerable when seen on the playing table, at least to my uneducated taste. I had observed that 'inked' toy soldiers such as the old Elastolin looked less 'toy-like' than the non-inked ones (Starlux e.g.) and having read that some don't used brush or spray to apply the protective varnish but simply dipped the painted mini in it, I combined the two steps and dipped the figurines in 'light oak' wood varnish....

    Btw this Alternate History Discussion board has some interesting contributions.

    I look eagerly forward to discover the future of Lyndhurst!
    Best wishes,
    Jean-Louis

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you all for your suggestions, both in regard to painting and the storyline, I will be adopting many of the suggestions made for the story and given my limited painting ability I will certainly be trying the suggestions made here.
    The next instalment for the story is due very soon.

    Thank you all and a happy New Year to each of you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Always a joy to read another take on English/British history. I look forward to the new adventures.

    ReplyDelete